Tracking Flights in 3D with Google Earth

I often like to track flights of friends. I'm a map freak, and just think its cool that you can get quasi-realtime flight information. Also being a map freak, I also love Google Earth. Now, with the help of www.fboweb.com you can track your flights in 3D with Google Earth.

There are two things I have noticed as being inconvenient about this service
1) It is very difficult to use this service to find a random active flight. You really should know flight information before you continue to fboweb.
2) The list of flight carriers is large and includes company names that need to be used instead of their parent companies. (For example, Trans World Express and Trans World Air both are listed and you need to know which one to choose even if the carrier mentions the other).

Tracking in 3D

1. Just install Google Earth on your local computer
  2. Point your browser at www.fboweb.com.
  3. I have found that the flight track form is the way to start, but do not enter anything here...it will not work.
  4. Click the Track button
  5. On the page that follows, click the 'airline' radio button
  6. Complete the form by picking the carrier and typing the flight number (optional, but recommended to save copious time)
  7. When the result hits, click the Track in 3D button. Google Earth opens on its own, but you may need to do some navigation.

One thought on “Tracking Flights in 3D with Google Earth

1. Hi All Experts,
    Does anyone use google earth images as ground image planes for use in aerial scenes. I know how to stitch them together but are there any tools or tricks to make sure that the images are at the same height, angle and such to make sure they stitch well. I know in the pro version you can get bigger images but im not going to pay for the pro version when i could stitch multiple images together...